Tuesday 15 June 2010

Tokachi Cruise

My friend organized sea birds cruise in Tokachi, Hokkaido last Saturday.
He charters local fishing boat and researches faunal information about sea birds and mammals in this area.

We started Atunai port at 6 A.M.
A Slaty-backed Gull had nesting in the bank which human can access easily...


 As soon as we leaved port, Rhinoceros Auklets showed up.

A Black-naped Tern and Rhinoceros Auklet were on a log.
I can understand Tern perched on the log. Despite it is not easier for Auklets perching on the log than floating, I think. Some Rinoceros Auklets tried to perch on the log.

Short-tailed Shearwaters.

The captain on this boat started fishing suddenly, and it happened interesting thing.
I will mention about it later entries.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know White Naped Terns occurred so far north......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I don't think that the tern is Black-naped Tern.....
    I think it's either a breeding Common Tern or Roseate Tern.

    ReplyDelete