Wednesday 12 May 2010

Tomakomai cruising -Current rip-

Continued before entry....
I headed further out of sea for 100m depth area which formed a shelf bathymetry and could be seen pelagic sea birds.
In this day, current rip formed around this area, swarm of birds followed the tide.

 Hundreds of Short-tailed Shearwaters.

A large number of BrĂ¼nnich's Guillemot and a White-bellied Diver were seen.

And the birds that were reflected back in Guillemot were high light in this cruising.

Thousands of Phalaropes!!
Red-necked Phalarope were major of this large flock.
In this flock contained Grey Phalaropes!!
The tide gathered debris like driftwoods, bugs appear from those and birds were seemed to feed on them.

It was a very exiting birding cruise, one of the best cruise  as well as albatrosses I've ever organized.

Viva!! Migration season!!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Pharalope photos!

    I'm a little busy in May/June but I would really like to join one of these cruises, maybe later this summer if you are going to arrange any.

    Are there any interesting birds in summer?

    My e-mail is stuprice68(AT)hotmail.com

    Next spring I definitely want to come and get some Pharalope photos..................

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is just amazing!
    The weather looks so fine and the birds are just incredible.
    Too bad it is too far away from where I live...I really want to see Grey Phalarope in breeding plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great variety of birds... we have to make do with Short-tailed Shearwaters in single figures here in Hong Kong !

    ReplyDelete